During this in-depth course over 10 weeks, you will learn how to draw the 8 Auspicious Symbols according
to the traditional Tibetan Buddhist tradition of Thangka.
Carmen will take you along on a special journey into these prosperous symbols.
You will learn how to draw them in a step by step process, and create either 8 separate drawings,
or a beautiful mandala with all the symbols in it.
Through Carmen Mensink's combination of creating art step by step, short meditations
and explanations about the iconography of the symbols, you will not only create a meaningful drawing,
but you will gain an experience that lasts way longer than the duration of this course.
The Eight Auspicious Symbols are not only decorative, but they bring prosperity and attract spiritual and
material well-being. In Sanskrit this set is known as 'Ashtamangala'; ashta = eight and mangala = happiness
During the course availability Carmen is fully available to guide and support you
on your drawing(s), bringing each student from where they are to a higher level.
The symbols are very popular among Tibetan Buddhists. They are depicted in monasteries as well as
residential houses. They are also depicted in front of the entrance of temples when high lamas and teachers visit.
In 2009, 2014 and 2018, Carmen was asked to paint these symbols to welcome HH the Dalai Lama
in her home country The Netherlands.
Your drawing(s) can be made in just black and white, or further worked out using shading or colour.
The list of art materials can be found at the course curriculum at the bottom of this page.
- Week 1: Preparations & Let's start!
- Week 2: The Parasol
- Week 3: The Pair of Golden Fishes
- Week 4: The Treasure Vase
- Week 5: The Lotus Flower
- Week 6: The Conch Shell
- Week 7: The Eternal Knot
- Week 8: The Victory Banner
- Week 9: The Dharma Wheel
- Week 10: Catching up & Rounding off
Have you seen some of the amazing drawings that are made by Carmen Mensink
and her students? Ever wondered how such effects were created?
Colour along with Carmen as she discloses all the techniques used to create the most
stunning thangka drawings.
And you can immediately apply the colouring techniques
on your drawing(s)!
With clear instruction videos, lots of closeups, examples from the thangka courses, tips
and clear explanation on how to create certain effects, this course covers everything
from the basic to the advanced levels:
- Basic knowledge about colours and the colour circle
- Shading techniques in black & white
- Between black & white and colour
- Shading techniques with coloured pencils
- Thangka specifics
- Outlining, decorating
- Lots of hints, tips and examples from the thangka courses
- Bonus: the use of additional materials and their effects
The list of art materials can be found at the bottom of this page.
A 1hr One-on-one with Carmen For coaching, practice, joy, & all your questions
Make a personal connection with your teacher and the thangka lineage.
You will receive a link to Carmen's calendar and can choose your One-on-One on
your own preferred date and time - there's lots of choice for all time zones.
If needed you can also reschedule your session.
You will also be able to add your preferred topic(s), so Carmen can prepare for the session.
Just a few things that you could use your 1hr session for:
- Get help and guidance on your drawing(s)
- Get more hints & tips on your drawing(s)
- Practice together / let Carmen demonstrate black & white shading and blending techniques
- Practice together / let Carmen demonstrate coloured shading and blending techniques
- Ask all your questions on thangka art, Carmen's own path, Buddhism, meditation, mantra etc.
- Feel supported on your thangka art journey, and confident on your next step(s)