Mar 3 -May 13, 2022
The 8 Auspicious Symbols
Draw the most famous Tibetan Symbols in a course over 10 weeks!
Over a course of 10 weeks, Carmen will take you along on a special journey into these prosperous symbols. You will learn how to draw them in a step by step process, and create either 8 separate drawings, or a beautiful Mandala with all the symbols in it (or both!). You will also learn the deep meanings and teachings behind them and how you can use that in your daily life.
During this in-depth course over 10 weeks, you will learn how to draw the 8 Auspicious Symbols according
to the traditional Tibetan Buddhist tradition of Thangka.
Carmen will take you along on a special journey into these prosperous symbols.
You will learn how to draw them in a step by step process, and create either 8 separate drawings,
or a beautiful mandala with all the symbols in it.
Through Carmen Mensink's combination of creating art step by step, short meditations
and explanations about the iconography of the symbols, you will not only create a meaningful drawing,
but you will gain an experience that lasts way longer than the duration of this course.
The Eight Auspicious Symbols are not only decorative, but they bring prosperity and attract spiritual and
material well-being. In Sanskrit this set is known as 'Ashtamangala'; ashta = eight and mangala = happiness
During the course availability Carmen is fully available to guide and support you
on your drawing(s), bringing each student from where they are to a higher level.
The symbols are very popular among Tibetan Buddhists. They are depicted in monasteries as well as
residential houses. They are also depicted in front of the entrance of temples when high lamas and teachers visit.
In 2009, 2014 and 2018, Carmen was asked to paint these symbols to welcome HH the Dalai Lama
in her home country The Netherlands.
Your drawing(s) can be made in just black and white, or further worked out using shading or colour.
The list of art materials can be found at the course curriculum at the bottom of this page.
- Week 1: Preparations & Let's start!
- Week 2: The Parasol
- Week 3: The Pair of Golden Fishes
- Week 4: The Treasure Vase
- Week 5: The Lotus Flower
- Week 6: The Conch Shell
- Week 7: The Eternal Knot
- Week 8: The Victory Banner
- Week 9: The Dharma Wheel
- Week 10: Catching up & Rounding off
This course will be available for you as soon as this bundle is purchased
Colouring Techniques Course
Become a pro in working with black & white pencils, coloured pencils and the effect of additional materials, and apply your newly learned techniques directly onto your Auspicious Symbols!
Have you seen some of the amazing drawings that are made by Carmen Mensink
and her students? Ever wondered how such effects were created?
Colour along with Carmen as she discloses all the techniques used to create the most
stunning thangka drawings.
And you can immediately apply the colouring techniques
on your drawing(s)!
With clear instruction videos, lots of closeups, examples from the thangka courses, tips
and clear explanation on how to create certain effects, this course covers everything
from the basic to the advanced levels:
- Basic knowledge about colours and the colour circle
- Shading techniques in black & white
- Between black & white and colour
- Shading techniques with coloured pencils
- Thangka specifics
- Outlining, decorating
- Lots of hints, tips and examples from the thangka courses
- Bonus: the use of additional materials and their effects
The list of art materials can be found at the bottom of this page.
On your preferred date and time
One-on-One Zoom Session with Carmen
During this private, 1hr Zoom Coaching session with Carmen you will get help when stuck in your drawing, practice the Colouring Techniques together, get support and guidance on your next steps, and have all your questions answered!
A 1hr One-on-one with Carmen For coaching, practice, joy, & all your questions
Make a personal connection with your teacher and the thangka lineage.
You will receive a link to Carmen's calendar and can choose your One-on-One on
your own preferred date and time - there's lots of choice for all time zones.
If needed you can also reschedule your session.
You will also be able to add your preferred topic(s), so Carmen can prepare for the session.
Just a few things that you could use your 1hr session for:
- Get help and guidance on your drawing(s)
- Get more hints & tips on your drawing(s)
- Practice together / let Carmen demonstrate black & white shading and blending techniques
- Practice together / let Carmen demonstrate coloured shading and blending techniques
- Ask all your questions on thangka art, Carmen's own path, Buddhism, meditation, mantra etc.
- Feel supported on your thangka art journey, and confident on your next step(s)
This Course Bundle is for you when:
- You want to create the special symbols according to the Tibetan tradition
- You want to learn more about thangka art and iconography
- You want to experience the meditative aspect of thangka drawing
- You want to learn how to work with the special colouring techniques and materials to enhance your drawings
- You want to have a private teaching and guidance and meet Carmen in person
After this Course Bundle:
- You have drawn your own beautiful Mandala with all the symbols in it, or a set of 8 separate symbol drawings
- You know about the deep meanings behind each of the Tibetan symbols
- You have meditated and reflected upon each symbol that corresponds to the different aspects of your life
- You have gained great knowlegde on colouring techniques and know how to enhance your drawings to the max!
- You have learned even more through your one-on-one with Carmen, made a personal connection with her, and know now how to proceed in your development
...An experience that lasts much longer than the course itself!
There are NO requirements for this course bundle, anyone can join. In fact, you don't need to have any drawing experience at all. Carmen will guide and support you personally, and will bring out the best in you on your own level.